Virtual Vinyl: Prototype for a Samples Marketplace
This is a passion project that is under construction. Licensing and copyright in music is a very dense field, and highly obfuscated. I have some (apparently) unique ideas about how the costs of entry for using copyrighted material can be addressed in a way that benefits both the user and the license holders and greatly reduces friction.
In the interim of building this project and sharing my work in detail when the prototype is complete, I will share an outline that includes my roadmap.
Step 1: Problem Definition and SWOT Analysis
- Clearly articulate the problem Virtual Vinyl aims to solve, such as the high upfront costs for producers and missed revenue opportunities for license owners.
- Perform a SWOT analysis of existing music marketplaces and licensing platforms to identify their strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats. (ie- Tracklib)
- Identify key differentiators for Virtual Vinyl and establish a value proposition based on its unique revenue-sharing model.
Step 2: Market Research and User Insights
- Conduct market research to understand the target audience, including music producers, content creators, and boutique labels.
- Gather user insights through surveys, interviews, and competitor analysis to identify pain points, preferences, and unmet needs.
- Synthesize research findings to inform the app's feature set, user flows, and design decisions.
Step 3: Wire-framing and Prototyping in Adobe XD
- Create wireframes in Adobe XD to establish the app's structure, navigation, and information hierarchy.
- Develop interactive prototypes to demonstrate user flows, interactions, and transitions.
- Incorporate visual design elements, such as color schemes, typography, and iconography, to create a cohesive and visually appealing experience.
- Create a label/license holder dashboard for tracking across DSPs.
- Create an artist dashboard to register published works for tracking.
Step 4: Bubble App Development for Demo
- Utilize Bubble, a visual programming platform, to build a demo version of Virtual Vinyl.
- Implement key features like user registration, license purchasing, revenue tracking, and content discovery.
- Iterate on the Bubble app based on user feedback, ensuring usability and performance.
Step 5: User Testing and Refinement
- Conduct user testing sessions with a diverse group of users to gather feedback on the app's functionality, usability, and overall experience.
- Incorporate user feedback and iterate on the design, user interface, and user experience.
- Continuously refine the app's features, performance, and security to align with user expectations and industry standards.